Hardwood floors are an important investment for your St. Charles home. Maintaining your floors is a vital part of protecting this investment. To get a clear picture of what you should do as a homeowner, our experts here at Floor Coverings International West County, MO have made this definitive guide to hardwood flooring care.
- No matter how careful you are with your hardwood floor, accidents are inevitable. If you happen to spill liquids like water, coffee, or wine on your floor, be sure to clean up the mess immediately to prevent staining and warping.
- If you have pets, take precaution and keep their nails trimmed and paws clean to prevent scratches and unsightly scuffmarks.
- Institute a “no shoes on the hardwood” rule to keep it as clean and intact as possible.
- Be certain not to use any harsh chemicals to clean your hardwood as that can lead to irreparable damage.
Regularly sweeping your hardwood floor is critical to catching the pieces of dirt and debris that can potentially scratch your floor. While little bits of dust may seem like no big deal, regular foot traffic pushes the grime around which can ultimately tarnish the look of your hardwood.
- Vacuuming your hardwood weekly is critical to catch the smaller bits of dust and keep the floor pristine.
- An alternate to vacuuming is to use a lightly damp (verging on dry) mop to clean your floor. Make sure there is no excess water as that can damage your floor.
Once A Decade
We highly recommend that you have your floor sanded and refinished at least once a decade. This is a critical process to protect your investment and keeps your floor looking fresh. Sanding removes the blemishes and deep-set scratches that occur on a hardwood floor and essentially makes your floor a blank canvas. Following this, a fresh coat of finishing lacquer is applied to make your floor look brand new.
Since this is an arduous task, we don’t recommend doing this on your own. Contact one of our flooring professionals at Floor Coverings International West County, MO for your sanding and refinishing needs.
Are you interested in installing hardwood floors in your St. Charles home? Our friendly experts at Floor Coverings International West County, MO are here to help. Call us today for complimentary consultation and a visit from our mobile showroom.
You also might be interested in:
Photo credit: taviphoto