Tile is a great addition to your Chesterfield home because it has a unique look and is very durable. You’ve probably heard of ceramic or porcelain tile, but did you know that glass tile is an option? Glass tile can be installed as flooring or as a beautiful backsplash in your kitchen or bathroom. There are a few things to know before you decide on installing glass tile in your home. Read below for some tips from the experts at Floor Coverings International West County, MO!
4 Types of Glass Tile
- Cast: These tiles are made by combining different chunks of glass (sometimes recycled) and creating new tile. This gives the tiles a unique, textured look.
- Smalti: These tiles are usually small, textured, and colorful and aren’t often used as flooring.
- Fused: Fused tiles are made from multiple glass layers that are then fused together. These tiles are usually translucent.
- Sintered: These tiles are made from glass powder that is then pressed into dyes. These tiles are generally more uniform looking and don’t vary in color or texture as much.
Benefits of Glass Tile
- Glass tiles are extremely customizable. You can use one type of glass tile or a combination of the four talked about above. Our trained design associate will work with you to create the backsplash or flooring design of your dreams!
- These tiles are very durable, easy to maintain, and resistant to mold and mildew. All you need to do is wipe the tiles with cleaner or a damp washcloth as needed.
While glass tiles are beautiful, they do come at a higher cost in comparison to other tiles such as ceramic. One way to keep costs down is to combine glass tile with a cheaper alternative such as porcelain or ceramic. These tiles are also difficult to install because they are very fragile. Thankfully our experienced team can do this for you!
If you’re ready to install glass tile in your Chesterfield home, give the experts at Floor Coverings International West County, MO a call today to schedule your free in-home design consultation! We proudly serve the greater Chesterfield, O'Fallon, St. Peters, St. Charles areas.